Six hearings were all it took for the Senate Committee on Justice and Human Rights to gather “enough” information on its probe on extrajudicial killings (EJKs) under the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte.
On their last hearing held last Thursday, the Senate committee on justice chairperson, Senator Richard “Dick” Gordon announced that it was officially terminating the EJK hearing. It was moved by Senator Panfilo Lacson, the vice chairperson of the same committee.
“We have enough to report,” Senator Richard Gordon said.
He added that the committee will come out with a report early next week.
“By Monday, we will have a report…so that the public will be assuaged that we are all watching out for each other here. [It] may not be perfect but we will try,” Gordon said.
Shortly before the hearing on EJK was terminated, Commission on Human Rights (CHR) chairperson Chito Gascon was given enough time to speak oin behalf of CHR, a GMA news reported.
Gascon said that the CHR is always prepared to provide assistance to the Senate in its quest related to the alleged extrajudicial killings as well as with other issues the Senate is facing.
Gascon added that the Senate is doing “great work” in “ferreting out the truth” regarding the issue.
Earlier that day, the committee chairperson has concluded that it will reject hearing the witnesses who is under the custody of the CHR. This came after one of the members of CHR referred to the senator as a “coward.”
“We are not taking the human rights out of the question. I just said, under the circumstances, kung pinagdududahan ninyo ang committee, huwag na kayo pumunta ditto (if you doubt the committee, then just don’t attend the hearings),” Gordon said.
Gordon then tried to shift the focus of the hearing from EJK to death penalty. However, this was not pushed through as the
The committee chairperson, meanwhile, assured Gascon that all the affidavits filed by the CHR witnesses will be included in the committee report.